Latest Updates: Check out our latest review of "The Curse of Robert"

Groundhog Day (1993)

I had sky movies comedy on today watching some terrible comedy that I can't be bothered to mention when this came across my screen. Now I admittedly this is the first time I had seen this film and I had no idea what the plot surrounded and had nothing to go by other than the title... Groundhog Day and to be honest being British I have literally no idea what Groundhog day in the US entails anyway... well.. now I do. So I know that a lot of you reading this will have seen this film at some point but to the minority that I was a part of before today that haven't... WATCH IT.

Let me try to sum up the storyline for you; now with me having no idea of what the plot was before watching it made the twist so much better. The twist that won't be a twist anymore because you've read this or even looked at the poster(sort of gives it away) is that Bill Murray playing a disgruntled news reporter that becomes trapped in the same day over, over, over, over, over (over doesn't even look like a real word anymore) and over again. That day, of course, is Groundhog Day; a day in which from what I could tell some Americans talk to a rodent to find out if there will be more days of winter or something. As you can tell I've done my research, if you'd like to insult my ignorance and educate me as to what groundhog day actually is then don't hesitate to comment.

Anyway back to the matter at hand regardless of what Groundhog Day stands for, this repeated day at first drives Murray crazy until he realizes after about the third day that it is useless trying to fight what it happening, so he uses it to his advantage. Murray basically does everything I would do in this situation, there are no consequences to his actions, so his actions become increasingly reckless. Murray tries to sleep with most of the women he comes in contact with as well as drinking heavily, punching an annoying asshole, getting into a high speed pursuit with the police, robbing a bank van and oh repeatedly killing himself;with no success Murray concludes that he is a God......

Ill not spoil the ending for you but it is a very good film, its gripping till the end, exciting, funny and exactly what the rest of us would do when faced with repeating a rather unspectacular day over and over.

5 Things you need to know about Groundhog Day
  1. One of Bill Murray's strongest performances ever.
  2. Murray's character Phil is trapped in the same day for just under 34 years! according to the website Wolf Gnards, a site obsessed with film.
  3. A family of groundhogs were actually raised for the production.
  4. Writer Danny Rubin said that one of his inspirations whilst creating this story was the book "Interview with the Vampire" which made Rubin consider what it would be like to be immortal, to live forever.
  5. There were various actors such as Tom Hanks and John Travolta considered for the lead role of Phil but these actors where decided against as they where considered "too nice" in comparison to Murray.
Fancy it?


Share this article :

Post a Comment

 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Saturday Nights In - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger